Thursday, May 9, 2013

Make Your Own Toothpaste


For the past few months I have been making my own toothpaste for my family using essential oils and I have really liked it. I have been concerned about the chemicals in toothpaste and have done a lot of research on the dangers of fluoride, which is surprisingly in a lot of the food we eat.  

Fluoride has been linked to lower IQ, thyroid issues, male reproductive issues, can interfere with the brain, can cause early puberty and so on. Another common ingredient in toothpaste is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which gives it's nice bubbly taste, but may cause canker sores and attacks the mucous membranes in the mouth altering the structure of the skin. According to the Pesticide Action Network, sodium lauryl sulfate is linked to aquatic toxicity, and acts as a dangerous toxin for a variety of fish, micro-organisms and other living creatures. Triclosan is also in toothpaste which is registered by the EPA as a pesticide! Another common ingredient is glycerin which gives toothpaste it's smooth liquid-like texture. Glycerin actually leaves a thin layer on our teeth which can take several rinses to get off and prevents remineralization from occuring which allows our cavities to self-heal.

Toothpaste Recipe:

1/2 cup organic virgin cold pressed Coconut oil
2-3 Tbsp Baking soda
10-15 drops Essential oil of your choice

1. I first melt the coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove, then add the baking soda and stir. I let the mixture cool for an hour or two and stir frequently as it hardens since the baking soda tends to settle to the bottom. (If your coconut oil is somewhat soft you can add the baking soda to it and mash it together instead.)

2. I then add the essential oils. The last time I made toothpaste I put in 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil, 4 drops OnGuard blend, and 1 drop of Oregano. 

3. After adding the essential oils stir and then store in a container. I scoop the toothpaste out with the top of a plastic spoon I leave in the container.

4. Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees so I always flush the sink with hot water after brushing. Depending on the time of year and the temperature, the consistency of the toothpaste will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment