Replace potentially harmful items in your medicine cabinet to something powerful and natural, essential oils! Since getting into essential oils a year and a half ago, I have slowly phased out over-the-counter medicines. I no longer have ibuprofen, advil, cough and cold medicines, or allergy medicine. I also make my own toothpaste, mouth spray, and use the oils for wound care.
As I learned more about essential oils and had more experiences using them, I realized that I no longer needed to use those over-the-counter medicines. I also like knowing that what I am using is natural and do not contain any potentially harmful chemicals. Do you ever read the label of ingredients of products you use? I don't even know what half the ingredients are in most of the things I used to buy.
Here are some of the oils I use most often in my home:
Lavender – all things calming Lavender has been cherished for its unmistakable aroma and its therapeutic properties for thousands of years. Lavender is widely used and acknowledged for its calming and relaxing qualities.
- Diffuse in a room or apply topically to calm anxiety and soothe emotions
- Apply topically to soothe irritated skin and lips
- Massage on back or bottom of feet, apply a drop to pillow at bedtime
- Apply immediately to help calm reaction to a bee sting or bug bite
Lemon – clean & freshen
This essential oil powerhouse is cold-pressed from lemon rinds to preserve its delicate nature and potent properties. Lemon is known as a powerful aromatic, topical, and internal cleanser that can be used to complement many other oils. Diffusing lemon in a room can cleanse the air and uplift mood. It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaning booster.
- Add a drop to honey to soothe a dry or sore throat
- Diffuse in a room to neutralize odors and elevate mood
- Use to clean kitchen counters and stainless steel appliances
- Take internally with water as an antioxidant and detoxifier
- Dissolves gum and sap
Peppermint – cool & invigorating
Peppermint is popular in countless forms—from toothpaste to chewing gum. As an essential oil, it is useful to ease breathing and as a digestive aid.
- Use with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse
- Inhale deeply to invigorate lungs and increase alertness
- Add to water in a spray bottle and mist body when overheated
- Apply to neck and forehead with Lavender to calm headaches
Frankincense – exclusive oil from Oman
Perhaps the most precious of the ancient oils, frankincense is highly sought after by modern consumers for its many uses, including relaxation, immune support, and mood enhancement.
- Use to clean and dress minor cuts and sores
- Use with a carrier oil for beautiful, radiant skin
- Apply to bottom of the feet or use internally to support immune function
- Use with Lavender and Peppermint to reduce stress and headaches
- When in doubt, use Frankincense!
Melaleuca – first aid for the skin
Recognized by its more common name, ‘tea tree’, melaleuca has been revered for its cleansing and regenerative properties, especially for the skin. Composed of more than ninety different compounds, it has limitless therapeutic applications.
- Apply to skin blemishes and rashes as part of a daily cleansing program
- Use with shampoo or conditioner for healthy scalp and hair
- Apply to feet and toenails after showering, swimming, or working out
Oregano – natural immune support
Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used oregano as a cleansing agent as well as for digestive and respiratory support. High in antioxidant activity, oregano contains phenolic acids and flavanoids.
- Take several drops in gelatin capsule for periodic immune support
- Dilute and apply to bottom of feet of kids and adults as a natural defense
- Use internally as part of a monthly cleansing regimen for GI health
According to recent studies, more than half of us are sufferers of ongoing discomfort. Deep Blue is dōTERRA’s soothing solution to this challenge. Wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, German chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus work together to ease achy joints and sore muscles. Its effects are deep and penetrating with sustained results. Once gently rubbed into the area of discomfort, the benefit will be felt almost immediately.
- Apply directly to tired, aching joints
- Rub on muscles before and after exercise to reduce discomfort
- Use with a carrier oil for a therapeutic deep-tissue massage
Breathe – respiratory support
Respiratory issues are prevalent in modern society. dōTERRA essential oils are a perfect way to ease breathing consistently for a sustained benefit. Breathe is a remarkable blend of CPTG® essential oils which combine to do just that—help you breathe easier. A proprietary blend including laurel leaf, peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon, and ravensara cleanses and soothes the airways, and can easily be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet. Its pleasant aroma is calming to the senses and perfect for nighttime diffusion allowing for restful sleep.
- Apply topically to chest and neck to help clear lungs and sinuses
- Diffuse or add to humidifier at bedtime for more restful sleep
- Apply to chest or bottom of feet for seasonal respiratory discomfort
DigestZen – digestive support
Many essential oils have been recognized through research as powerful agents to help restore normal balance in the digestive system. Digestzen takes advantage of these well-established therapeutic compounds in a proprietary blend of pure essential oils. Ginger, peppermint, tarragon, fennel, caraway, coriander, and anise each have specific attributes which add to the overall efficacy of this potent blend. When used internally, dōTERRA’s Digestzen brings soothing digestive relief.
- Rub on stomach to ease digestive discomfort, nausea, or motion sickness
- Take internally at meal times to support healthy, comfortable digestion
- Apply to bottom of feet of children to help ease digestive issues
On Guard – natural defense
On Guard is dōTERRA’s unique, proprietary blend formulated to support healthy immune function.* Wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary offer a fragrant, natural and effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support. On Guard, with its unique aroma, is one of our most versatile blends. It is also safe to use on counter tops, as a non-toxic way to cleanse surfaces, or to clear the atmosphere by diffusing. On Guard is superb for eliminating and controlling pathogens due to the potency of its constituents.
- Diffuse in a room to eliminate airborne pathogens
- Dilute and gargle morning and night as a protective mouth rinse
- Take several drops in gelatin capsule for added immune support
- Dilute in spray bottle to clean handles, phones, & other community surfaces
To purchase these oils, go to: mydoterra.com/samtaggart
The 'family physician kit' contains all 10 of these oils at a discounted price.